Specific information about our relationship with consultants
Compliance with CMA Order 2014
In October 2014, the Competition and Markets Authority (the “CMA”) published the Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (the “Order”) following its investigation into the private healthcare industry. The Order imposed requirements on private hospital operators to disclose certain information in relation to referring clinicians (as defined by the Order) for the benefit of patients. Full details about the investigation and the Order can be found on the CMA web page. The information provided by Sussex Premier Health below is required by the Order.
“Higher Value” Services
The services provided at Sussex Premier Health to referring clinicians and the amounts charged by Sussex Premier Health for those services are set out below:
- Use of consulting rooms £20 per hour
- Medical secretarial services £20 per hour
“Low Value” Services
The following “low-value” services are also provided to referring clinicians with practising privileges at Sussex Premier Health:
- General services to ensure clinical safety (eg in-house training, chaperones)
- Operational services such as patient bookings/admissions (including online booking and payment for consultations), access to a virtual consultation solution, administrative services and billing, and insurance/indemnity cover in respect of NHS patients
- General marketing support, including production of consultant directories, promotional activities, web profiles etc
- Basic workplace amenities such as teas/coffees/refreshments, subsidised meals, car parking, stationery
Clinician Financial Interests in Sussex Premier Health
Private hospital operators are required to disclose details of referring clinicians practicing at their facilities, who have a share or financial interest in those facilities, or any equipment used there. Where a referring clinician has an individual web page profile on this hospital website, relevant shares and/or financial interests are disclosed there. For referring clinicians who do not have an individual profile, their shares and/or financial interests are shown below:
- Mr Gouws owns 100% of the laser eye equipment used at Sussex Premier Health – Hastings. The hospital pays a rental fee for use of this equipment.